It has been quite the week. Last Sunday morning, Bob and I felt like there was a chance that something might not be right with the pregnancy and the twins so we decided to go get things checked out. The doctor did an exam and then re-checked a few hours later. I was having steady light contractions about every 5-7 minutes. The decision was made to be cautious and admit me and observe me for a few days.
The doctor started me on steroids to help the babies' lung development. He also started me on Penicillin and gave me some medication to try and stop the contractions. Bob left to go and pack a bag for me and then spend the night with Madeline. In the time it took for him to get home, Bob came down with the stomach flu. Luckily, we were able to leave Madeline with friends and Bob got to go home and take care of himself.
At about 7:00 Sunday night my water broke. From 7 p.m to 7 a.m. I continued to have light contractions. The hope was that the doctors could keep me in bed and keep me from delivering the babies for as long as possible.
Then Monday morning, the intensity of contractions began to pick up. Bob was over the worst of the stomach bug, and was at home resting. At a little after 10:00 it was decided that the babies needed to be delivered. I was taken for an emergency C-Section. Kaitlyn was born at 10:43, weighing 2 lbs. 8 oz. and Hunter was born at 10:44 weighing 3 lbs.
The twins are currently in the NICU and will be there for quite a while. We were told to expect them to be in the NICU until at least the beginning of June. Kaitlyn and Hunter are receiving excellent care and are making strides every day.
Both are having some support with breathing, but are not on ventilators. They also are being fed breast milk every few hours. As of tonight Kaitlyn weighs 2 lbs. 2 oz. and Hunter weighs 2 lbs. 8 oz.
I have been able to hold their hands and even got to hold each of them for a few minutes a few nights ago. Tonight I was able to help the nurses take their temperature and clean Kaitlyn up some and help apply some antibiotic ointment to her foot. It made me feel good to feel like I was helping to take care of them.
I want to thank everyone for the thoughts, help, and especially the prayers. It has been a long week, but it is one week down and one week closer to the twins coming home. Please keep our family in your prayers. Kaitlyn and Hunter are holding strong, but we still have a long road ahead of us. As I get more updates, I will update them here as opposed to sending emails out. Please check back for future updates.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



Thanks for the update! We're praying here.
ReplyDeleteJamie S.
Thank you for posting, we are praying and thinking of you all!!! Love and kisses from California!!! xoxo cissy
ReplyDeleteThanks for the update Molly. Our thoughts are with you all. Pam
ReplyDeleteLove reading the post about you all. Please know that NC is full of prayers for the Emerson family :) We love you and will continue to lift you up!
ReplyDeleteMelanie C.
Love and prayers will surround your family all the way to Kaitlyn and Hunter's homecoming and beyond. Luvin you. Mom
ReplyDeleteThanks for keeping us all posted! We are praying for you and your family! Love you bunches!
ReplyDeleteSheri
So thankful to get my internet back so I can get news of our newest family members. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you. Give special love to Madeline tooo.
ReplyDeleteLove, Aunt Fran